Saint Francis de Sales
No, I think every experience in life is an opportunity that you can choose to take and grow or remain stagnant.
Jessica Williams and Travon (one of the staff writers) do it again!
This is why white women can’t be in the natural hair movement
Had to bold that comment
It’s easy to ignore conditions in the prison system. Once you’ve seen John Oliver’s tirade on the subject, though, it’s impossible not to care.
(GIFs via sandandglass)
i see lucy as a racist film that plays on negative stereotypes while hiding behind the cover of (white) feminism.
all this film has done is switch out the white man for a white woman. it’s still a film about a white person getting violated by the evil poc, then gaining power and wiping them out.
here’s 2 of my favourite scenes from the trailer:
from top to left to right:
KEEP CLEAN 保持清潔，APPLE 蘋果，ONION 洋蔥，GRAPE 葡萄，CHAIR 椅子，TOMATO 番茄
traditional chinese is an actual written language used by millions of people, not symbols to be thrown around at the whim of set designers because they look cool and idk, serves to create a menacing asian atmosphere. this is so disrespectful, and made even worse by the fact that this film in set it taipei, taiwan where the official written language is traditional chinese.
it doesn’t matter that this film caters to a primarily “white” audience who won’t be able to read it, the language and culture of taiwan isn’t something for you to twist and use as you deem fit because it’s “exotic.”
lucy shoots a guy for not being able to speak english.
she l i t e r a l l y shoots this taiwanese taxi driver, in taiwan for not being able to speak english. she’s in taipei and she’s shooting people as they are of no use to her because they don’t speak english.
just think about the sort of message that’s sending out. she’s not being “bad-ass strong female character who takes no shit,” she’s saying that english is useful and better. this is the type of harmful ideology that stretches all the way back from when western countries were colonising and forcing their language and customs on other countries.
let me explain with a real life example. i was born in new zealand to two taiwanese parents. i am fluent in english, but mandarin is conversational at best. my friends in taiwan say that i am “so lucky” to speak fluent english, when they are fluent in mandarin and their english level is no worse than my mandarin. they tell me that they want to perfect their english but in the same breath tell me that mandarin isn’t worth perfecting because i have english and that’s “enough”. they also tell me how pretty my white friends are when they see pictures.
this is the type of neo imperialism ideology that they’ve grown up buying into. it honestly hurts and frustrates me that they belittle their own culture like this, honestly believing that the western world is superior. this is the type of neo imperialism ideology that this film (hopefully unintentionally) promotes: white people are better and will save the day.
if they wanted to film a movie about a white women getting back at those who had violated her, why not film it in a western country? if they wanted to film it in taiwan, why not find an asian lead actress?
i do agree that we need more women protagonists in action/superhero movies, but not like this. its not okay that the female lead needs to be kidnapped and have her body cut open without her consent in order to gain her powers, and those said those powers do not make any of this racist bullshit okay.
i am just so tired and angry of poc always being brushed off to the side as either props or villains in mainstream media.
as a poc, it’s so frustrating to see that the of the standard of beauty still white women when we live in multi-cultural societies and a diverse world.
feminism is about equality. a film in which poc are presented as evil and inferior before being killed off by a superior white woman does not promote equality.
I cannot recommend this video enough. This woman breaks it down perfectly.
The Stories That Europe Tells Itself About Its Colonial History
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
“She said once she was shocked that her son while being taught Belgian history, was taught nothing about Congo. She said “They teach my son in school that he must help the poor Africans, but they don’t teach him about what Belgium did in Congo.” Of course, all countries are evasive about the past for which they feel ashamed, but I was shocked by what seemed to me not evasiveness but an erasure of history.
If her son doesn’t learn that the modern Congo State began a hundred years ago as the personal property of a Belgian king, who was desperate to get wealthy from ivory and rubber, if her son doesn’t learn that the hands of Congolese people were chopped off for not producing enough resources to meet the king’s greed, if her son doesn’t learn that the Belgian government later led Congo with a deliberate emphasis on not producing an educated class, so that Congolese could become clerks and mechanics but couldn’t go to university, if her son doesn’t learn that more recently, even though it was the Americans who installed the Mobutu dictatorship, Belgium was a major force behind the scenes propping him up, if this young Belgian boy, knows nothing about these incidents, then, at some point, they would perhaps no longer have happened because the past after all is the past because we collectively acknowledged that it is so.
This young Belgian boy would grow up to see Africa only as a place that requires his aid, his help, his charity with no complications for him. A place that can help him show how compassionate he can be, and most of all, a place whose present has no connection to Europe.
It is not that Europe has denied its colonial history. Instead, Europe has developed a way of telling the story of its colonial history that ultimately seeks to erase that history”
THIS IS THE MURDER OF ERIC GARNER. Caught on camera in ITS FULL CONTEXT.
This is the extended clip of the NYPD and EMS after they’ve murdered this man. After they’ve realized they’ve killed this man, they pretend as if he’s still alive. He’s dead on the sidewalk!! That’s why the EMS didn’t bother to attempt to resuscitate him. They did nothing to attempt to revive him. He was still in handcuffs and all they did was remove his phone and some cigarettes from his pockets, then slammed his LIFELESS BODY onto a stretcher. THEY MURDERED THIS MAN!!
- If you or I were ever to be caught on camera, in the plain view of day light, committing a crime there would be no need for an INVESTIGATION (open and shut case). But time and time again, this is the tactic that the NYPD and other terrorist groups across the U.S. uses. They see a plain video of their officers committing a crime and they “INVESTIGATE” it for years…and as time passes WE FORGET until the next time…WELL YOU BETTER START DEVELOPING A LONG MEMORY BECAUSE THE INCURSION IS COMING FOR YOU AND YOURS IF WE DON’T STOP THESE PEOPLE FROM KILLING US.
Officer DANIEL PANTALEO should be charged with MANSLAUGHTER in the second degree.
- MANSLAUGHTER in the 2nd Degree: According to New York Penal Code section 125.15 (1), a person is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree when he RECKLESSLY CAUSES THE DEATH OF ANOTHER PERSON.
- According to NY Penal Code section 15.05(3), RECKLESSNESS is defined as follows: A person acts recklessly with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is AWARE of and CONSCIOUSLY DISREGARDS a SUBSTANTIAL and UNJUSTIFIABLE RISK that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a GROSS DEVIATION FROM THE STANDARD OF CONDUCT THAT A REASONABLE PERSON WOULD OBSERVE IN THE SITUATION.
- Since 1993, the NYPD has expressly banned all applications of police choke-holds because numerous people have died in police custody as a result of these choke-holds!!! The RULE AGAINST POLICE CHOKE-HOLDS CLEARLY STATES: “Members of the NYPD will not use chokeholds.” The NYPD patrol guide defines a choke-hold as follows: “A chokehold shall include, but is not limited to, ANY PRESSURE TO THE THROAT OR WINDPIPE WHICH MAY PREVENT OR HINDER BREATHING TO REDUCE INTAKES OF AIR.”
- Officer DANIEL PANTALEO is an 8-year veteran of the NYPD. He is or should be aware of the NYPD rule against choke-holds. He is or should be aware that placing someone in a choke-hold is therefore reckless (as defined above). Placing ERIC GARNER in a chokehold was reckless because it’s a gross deviation from the explicit rules of the NYPD against using choke-holds. DANIEL PANTALEO applied a choke-hold because he clearly applied pressure to ERIC GARNER’S neck (see video). This hindered the intake of air because you can clearly hear ERIC GARNER screaming “I can’t breathe” (see video).
- THERE IS NOTHING TO INVESTIGATE…THERE IS NOTHING THAT THE NYPD CAN FIND THAT WILL BE MORE EVIDENTIARY THAN THIS VIDEO!! EVERY ELEMENT OF THE CRIME IS ON THE VIDEO.
DANIEL PANTALEO could be charged with second degree MURDER.
- NY Penal code section 125.25 (2) states: “A person is guilty of murder in the second degree when under circumstances envincing a DEPRAVED indifference to human life, he RECKLESSLY engages in conduct which creates a GRAVE RISK OF DEATH to another person, and thereby causes the death of another person.”
- DANIEL PANTALEO, as evidenced by other claims of police misconduct and excessive force has demonstrated a history of depraved indifference to human life. His conduct here is also RECKLESS as outlined above. And his reckless conduct, while demonstrating a depraved indifference to human life caused the death of ERIC GARNER.
- AGAIN, AN INVESTIGATION IS UNNECESSARY!! THE VIDEO CLEARLY SHOWS EVERY ELEMENT OF THE CRIME.
It’s not okay to not be able to forgive yourself. When you are forgiving others, you are practicing to let go. It’s the hardest thing in this world, to let go. By forgiving others, you are essentially forgiving yourself.
Don’t just take things as they are just because they sound good or because you’re accustomed to it. And surely don’t ignore and block things out simply because it’s unheard of or “crazy talk”. Always ask why. Never settle.
Ask me anything Submit
Stuff I like
They call us murderers, but we did not murder...”
- “My problem with people today is that they give up...”
- “You’ll never reach a point in your life where...”
- “Every day, think as you wake up, today I am...”